Erith School is a large, mixed secondary modern school (1,950 on roll) on the Bexley/Kent border. The school is located 15 minutes away from the Dartford Tunnel and the M25. The A2 is 10 minutes away. Bexley has three different main railway lines running through it that connect from Kent into the main line stations of London Victoria, London Bridge, Charing Cross and Cannon Street in less than 30 minutes. The nearest stations are Barnehurst (20 minute walk) and Erith (5 minute car or bus ride). Erith School has been an independent “converter” Academy since October 2010. The school was rated ‘Good’ in the last Ofsted inspection and has the potential to achieve an outstanding rating.
A full-time English Teacher who can build on the high quality teaching and learning within the subject is required on a permanent basis. The post requires teaching KS3, KS4 and KS5 of the National Curriculum to students aged 11 to 18. The salary will be based on an Outer London Main Pay Scale dependent on qualifications and experience.
• To teach their subject discipline, inspiring students to have a passion for their subject and an understanding of its key ideas, concepts and skills.
• To continuously improve classroom practice and achieve excellent student outcomes.
• To monitor and support the overall progress and development of students as a teacher/ Form Tutor.
• To facilitate and encourage a learning experience which provides students with the opportunity to achieve their individual potential.
To carry out the following professional duties as circumstances may require and in accordance with the School’s policies under the direction of the Headteacher, in particular:-
• To ensure that their lessons are well prepared and that they fit in with the Faculty policy, the requirements of the National Curriculum and GCSE, and that all deadlines are met.
• To carry out a designated programme of teaching, implementing and delivering effectively planned schemes of work.
• To modify the teaching styles to match the needs and aspirations of all students entrusted to their care.
• To maintain a professional interest in the teaching and keep up-to-date with methodology and change and make themselves available for in-service training as and when it arises.
• To create an environment in the classroom which is conducive to all students’ learning.
• To prepare and update subject materials.
• To use a variety of delivery methods which stimulate learning appropriate to student needs and demands of the syllabus.
• To ensure a high quality learning experience for students which meets internal and external quality standards.
• To mark, grade and give written/verbal and diagnostic feedback as required and in line with the school’s Marking Policy.
• To complete the relevant documentation to assist in the tracking of students and use information to inform teaching and learning.
• To use student data to inform planning for learning, and in particular interventions for students who are underachieving in their lessons.
• To work as part of the team to fulfil assessment requirements.
• To ensure maintenance of up-to-date records of work done, homework set and students' progress and fulfil all reporting requirements.
• To ensure that ICT/literacy and numeracy are reflected in the teaching/learning experience of students.
• To maintain discipline in accordance with the school’s procedures, and to encourage good practice with regard to punctuality, behaviour, standards of work and homework.
• To take part in the school’s staff development programme by participating in arrangements for further training and professional development.
• To engage actively in the Managing Performance review process.
• To ensure the effective/efficient deployment of classroom support.
• To attend team meetings and contribute to the development and success of the team’s core objectives and performance targets.
Qualifications and Experience required:
• Graduate with Qualified Teacher Status
• Successful completion of teaching practice and PGCE/NQT
• Experience of teaching and maintaining the professional teaching standards
• Good subject knowledge and passion for the subject
• Knowledge of National Curriculum and initiatives, including post 16 developments
• Good knowledge of pedagogy, how students learn and teaching and learning styles
• Knowledge of effective assessment strategies
• Ability to analyse and interpret data effectively and act upon the information
• Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with students at all levels of ability
• Ability to teach good or outstanding lessons
• Strong behaviour management
• Ability to inspire, challenge and motivate students
• Ability to work effectively under pressure and meet tight deadlines
• Ability to think creatively to anticipate and solve problems
This role would suit either a NQT looking for an exceptional induction programme or an experienced English Teacher looking for further progression opportunities and a possible TLR.
Regardless of experience, if you are keen to make a difference then your hard work will be rewarded. Apply today with an up to date CV or call 020 8709 6540 for more information.