Erith School is a large, mixed secondary modern school (1,950 on roll) on the Bexley/Kent border. The school is located 15 minutes away from the Dartford Tunnel and the M25. The A2 is 10 minutes away. Bexley has three different main railway lines running through it that connect from Kent into the main line stations of London Victoria, London Bridge, Charing Cross and Cannon Street in less than 30 minutes. The nearest stations are Barnehurst (20 minute walk) and Erith (5 minute car or bus ride). Erith School has been an independent “converter” Academy since October 2010. The school was rated ‘Good’ in the last Ofsted inspection and has the potential to achieve an outstanding rating.
Secondary Teaching Assistants are required to join the school immediately on a temporary basis with the potential to go permanent for the right person. This role is ideal for NQT’s who are looking for their first role after graduating or whilst studying towards a PGCE/QTS qualification. Erith school provide an exceptional induction programme with CPD support allowing you to progress into a successful teaching career.
The role would suit someone who is highly organised, keen, self-motivated and has a passion in making a difference to children. It involves supporting the teacher by taking on tasks that allow the teacher to concentrate on teaching.
Typical Duties Include:
• Deliver tailored teaching activities to pupils on either a one-to-one basis or in small group
• Make sure that the pupils that you support are able to engage in learning and stay on task during the lesson or activity
• Support the social and emotional development of pupils, reporting any issues as necessary
• Manage challenging pupil behaviour
• Guide and monitor pupil progress
• Carry out administrative duties such as lesson planning and preparing classroom resources
• Provide support outside of your normal classes, such as helping during exams, covering TA absences or going on school trips
• Help with extracurricular activity such as breakfast and after-school clubs, homework club, revision sessions or lunch-time duties
• Co-ordinate specific areas of teaching support once you have the right level of experience
• Undergoing regular observations and participating in regular in-service training as part of continuing professional development (CPD)
A secondary teaching assistant must keep up to date with developments in their subject area, new resources, methods and national objectives.
The ideal candidate will have knowledge of Key Stage 3, 4 and 5 of the National Curriculum with at least 6 months to 1 years’ experience in a classroom environment. You will also need to have the following:
• Excellent literacy and numeracy skills
• Strong track record of raising levels of achievement and motivation
• Ability to build strong relationships with children and parents
• Support pupils to make progress through providing personalised experiences
• Establish a safe and purposeful working atmosphere that supports learning and in which students feel secure and confident
• Ability to plan for progression in learning, using intervention as necessary
• Have excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Be passionate and energetic
• A commitment to working collaboratively within the faculty
• A valid DBS
• The right to work in the UK
• A minimum of two references
In return you will receive:
• Excellent rates of pay
• A range of positions covering day to day supply, short and long term roles
• On-going support and training and development opportunities
Regardless of experience, if you are keen to make a difference then your hard work will be rewarded. Apply today with an up to date CV or call 020 8709 6540 for more information.